Sunday 14 August 2011

My Design Career


Why I want to be a designer? or more importantly an industrial designer?

I originally started my tertiary studies doing, a bachelors degree in visual communications, mainly because I didn’t know where I wanted to go with my studies and graphics seemed like a path which was easy to follow, but soon found that, it was a bit to limiting when it came to industry jobs. 

I first researched into doing industrial design when I saw a couple of exhibitions about product design and soon developed a liking towards this area, mostly with kitchen products. With further research and interest in blogs and other mediums. Previous students also gave insight into the course and what was being studied and what kind of work or projects would be involved. This left a big impression on my design career as it made me feel that graphics were not enough to satisfy my wants.

The big jump from a course that deals with mainly 2D interfaces into a more 3D oriented field. The choice to go to UNSW was due to a few previous students recommendation, and with some interest with the UNSW campus, this was the choicest university selection.
As with every university degree, there is a start and a finish, and with this Bachelor of Industrial Design degree, I hope that I will be able to work as an in house designer for home ware design companies. I take great interest in household items and appliances, and with this thought, I would like to be part of a company that deals with these types of products.
From the lectures and different tutors that have been involved with this years course, it seems that there can be many possibilities with this degree, not limiting it to just product design but it can also be stretched into architecture, jewelry design, and other fields. Jewelry design is also a field of interest and could be a possible area in the industry where I would like to end up in.
As a budding designer there are many things that need to be learnt and experimented with in order to develop each persons individual flair and expertise. With the knowledge that is gained from this 4 year course, it will most definitely sculpt the unrefined raw capacity that each person has to become a designer with his or hers personal preference. Though this will be a long and grueling period, this experience is what will define each of us. This can already be noticed with the group and individual assignments that have been given to us over this current semester and last semester.
A designer is like a chameleon that changes and adapts to different eras, tastes, audience, and purpose and this is particularly evident in industrial designers, becoming an industrial designer means to understand all of those aspects and bringing them all together to design and create something spectacular.
Overall, the design journey has just started and through this course and this experience, I hope to reap many different skills and have many interesting encounters for there is a creative journey ahead. 

No comments:

Post a Comment